During the last couple of years the ag community in central Arizona had many opportunities and challenges dealing with the task of producing food and fiber. The confirmation of Palmer Amaranth resistance to glyphosate in some parts of the region requires the adoption of different management approaches to avoid widespread economic problems. Brown Stink Bugs became a significant pest of cotton during the last and current seasons. They appear to be a potential pest of significance. Pest control advisors and growers have many inquiries about this unfamiliar pest. Also, there are new chemicals registered for Arizona that can strengthen our arsenal of tools to combat many serious pests.
You have a great opportunity to discuss these topics, and more during the 3rd Annual Central Arizona Farmer Field Day at Maricopa Ag Center (MAC) on October 18th, 2013. Dr. Phillip Roberts, Extension Entomologist and Professor, Department of Entomology, University of Georgia has a great deal of experience in the management of stink bugs in cotton and other crops. He will share his experience with us during this event. Also Dr. Peter Ellsworth will discuss some of the management trials for stink bugs in Arizona cotton. Dr. Bill McCloskey will discuss crop rotation and Palmer Amaranth management. Our day will start out with a field tour showcasing some of the trials conducted by Dr. Peter Ellsworth and Dr. Ayman Mostafa at MAC for the management of Lygus bugs, stink bugs, whiteflies and mites in cotton.
Dr. Jeff Silvertooth, Associate Dean and Director of Economic Development and Extension will give an update on the UA Cooperative Extension.
Click Here for more information about this event, speakers and topics.
- Virtual “Tent Talks” August 30, 2020
- Wild Honey Bees in Community Environments – Identification, Biology, and Reducing Risks August 5, 2020
- Mistaken Identity: The Cicada Killer Wasp and the Asian Giant Hornet August 5, 2020
- Dose Responses of Field Populations of Alfalfa Weevil from Various Western States to Lambda-Cyhalothrin® Using a Feeding and Contacting Assay July 22, 2020
- Improving Alfalfa Yield with Applications of Balanced Fertilizers July 17, 2020